|| Job Description
The Goal of the Agriculture Sector at SNV is “More Inclusive, sustainable and resilient food systems which provide diverse nutritious food for all within planetary boundaries”. In order to achieve this, SNV has chosen to work in four areas, which we call products: ‘Inclusive Value Chains’, ‘Sustainable Nutrition for All’, ‘Climate and Business’ and ‘Opportunities for Youth Employment’. Each of these work areas (products) is co-ordinated by a Global Product Coordinator who steers the content and implementation – both internally and externally – of their “product” within the Global Agriculture Team at the Head Office and across all Country Offices of SNV globally.
The Global Climate and Business Coordinator – under the leadership of the Global Head of Agriculture, but also working closely with the Global Head of Energy – develops and continuously improves the description and the methods, tools and approaches of all climate change related work of SNV. Our Climate and Business Product builds on SNV’s extensive experience working with the private sector and provides an approach to support agri- and energy- businesses – be they producers, cooperatives, traders, processors, financiers etc - to increase productivity and incomes, in a way that responds to growing climate risks. This requires transforming the overall functioning of the agriculture and energy sectors, the relationships within them and the technologies adopted. To drive the sectors towards more climate smart outcomes requires a conducive enabling environment. We engage authorities to support policies, including fiscal measures or budgetary allocations, to encourage this shift. Our interventions help to kick-start markets and leverage finance, providing lasting climate solutions at scale. Our growing portfolio of work offers demonstrable climate smart business cases that can be further adopted and scaled.
The Global Climate and Business Coordinator monitors and manages the quality of project development and implementation for all SNV projects globally that include Climate and Business components in order to support project teams around the globe to create sustainable impact while achieving agreed revenue and margin targets. Key aspects of this include developing and nurturing relationships with key donors, leading and contributing to the development of funding proposals, building capacity of staff around the world and providing technical assistance directly to project teams. The Coordinator steers the knowledge sharing and learning agenda on Climate and Business across SNV and guides Agriculture Sector Leaders and Project Managers in up to 27 SNV Country Offices on theories and best practice relating to climate change and business.
The Global Climate and Business Coordinator represents SNV with key climate change stakeholders and at selected events at international and occasionally at national level, building partnerships with relevant actors (companies, research institutions, universities, donors etc) through professional profiling and by promoting SNV's strategy, vision and level of (product and project) knowledge. The Coordinator identifies and enters global partnerships with knowledge institutes in consultation with the Global Heads of Agriculture and Energy.
- Development and Innovation: Ensures that the Climate and Business set of tools and approaches is updated and adjusted to meet the required high-quality standards. Pitches innovative and relevant methodology enhancements or new products based on experience and external developments to the Global Heads of Agriculture and Energy and/or relevant stakeholders.
- Advisory Services and Project Cycle management: Provides advice and support in more complex projects and programmes, including project design, backstopping, theory of change etc. Steers and gives direction to Project Managers in the sector to improve overall sector quality.
- Business Development: acts as technical lead and reviews quality of new proposals; ensures coherence in cross-cutting themes and analyses critical success factors (including Theory of Change, partners, activities and budget) in close collaboration with the Global Marketing and Business Development team.
- Knowledge and Learning: Leads on innovation, translates external trends into internal improvement actions. Prepares, maintains and updates product knowledge agenda and steers organisational learning by sharing product knowledge and best practices. Collects and disseminates knowledge to stimulate internal and external knowledge exchange and to support global learning.
- Quality Assurance and Portfolio Management: Monitors high quality implementation of the tools and approaches. Manages, with delegation from the Global Heads of Agriculture and Energy, the quality of project implementation to ensure sector project teams around the globe create on the ground impact while hitting agreed revenue and margin targets. This includes regular monitoring and timely identification of deviations from impact and business targets as well as coordination of corrective and follow-up actions and escalation in case of major or prolonged deviations. Provides support to project staff to implement the product tools and approaches according to the set standard.
- Profiling and positioning: Builds and expands partnerships with relevant actors (companies, research institutions, universities, donors, etc.) through professional profiling, showing SNV's strategy, vision and level of knowledge and experience. Represents SNV at selected events. Identifies and enters global partnerships with knowledge institutes within the sector in consultation with the Global Agriculture and Energy Teams.
- Masters degree in specialised/relevant technical field and (10 or more years) relevant experience in development work, project implementation in an international, multiple country context.
- Solid and strong background in climate change adaptation and a proven track record in development work related to climate change and business.
- Acts as an authority in the field of climate and business in technical knowledge, innovating best practices and is capable to invent, conceptualise and realise enhancements in the area of Climate and Business.
- Has profound experience in global project/programme implementation/management both in terms of technical quality as well as financial performance.
- Track record of ability to work independently as well as in a (matrix) team setting.
- Excellent in English; proficient working level in French and or Portuguese is an asset,