Team Lead - Power Sector Transformation
Team Lead - Power Sector Transformation
Under the supervision of the Deputy Director of IITC, the Team Lead, Power Sector Transformation will fulfil the following duties and responsibilities:
- Lead and manage the work on Power Sector Transformation and Power to X technologies and their integration, ensuring effective development and delivery of the work program;
- Provide strategic and tactical advice to senior management in the areas of professional responsibility as well as on programme and project planning and execution;
- Define the strategic direction of IRENA’s work in the areas of power sector transformation, Power to X and energy systems integration;
- Develop, map and organize the knowledge in the area of power sector transformation, Power to X energy system integration and power system flexibility, to provide solid advice to IRENA member countries based on the latest knowledge and best practices in the field;
- Lead the development and implementation, monitors and evaluates assigned programme/projects. Provides direction and sound and innovative advice on power sector transformation and energy system integration issues, including developing strategies for issues on a long-term and large-scale basis, to ensure timely, cost-effective and efficient implementation, as well as achievement of strategic and operational objectives of the Agency;
- Supervises the work of the team in the development of quantitative techno-economic analysis, incl. model development and information sharing;
- Manages the relationship with Member countries in the structuring and definition of the scope of work, information sharing and progress monitoring for the national and regional analysis;
- Delivers thorough well-reasoned contributions, e.g., policy recommendations, complex papers, analysis, substantive sections of reports and studies, publications, background papers, analysis etc;
- Supervise contractors and consultants;
- Manage outreach activities; design and conduct workshops, seminars, including to develop the Agency’s position; deliver compelling presentations in the areas of responsibility or on behalf of the Agency as delegated by senior management;
- Maintain and expand the network of partners for collaboration at the international, regional and national level and develop an active presence in the relevant field;
- Ensures efficient utilization of the Agency’s resources; provides effective supervision and development of staff; guides, evaluates and mentors staff;
- Coordinate activities related to budget (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, etc.) and prepare related documents/reports (work programme, budget, etc.), evaluation of staff performance, interviews candidates for job openings and evaluation of candidates;
- Serves as an effective spokesperson and establishes collaboration and partnerships with key officials and stakeholders at all levels inside and outside the organization. Promotes the work of the agency through keynote presentations in relevant events; makes strategic use of digital platforms and manages the relationship with key stakeholders inside and outside of the agency;
- Perform other duties as required by senior management.
Professionalism: Good understanding of renewable energy technology, markets or technology policy frameworks. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
Accountability: Stands accountable for the accuracy and completeness of information under his/her control and handling of the information in a discreet and confidential manner; takes ownership for all responsibilities and honour commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes ownership of delegated responsibilities and authorities; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; Encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; Actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly
Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in economics, engineering, environment or natural science, or other relevant field related to energy is required. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience: A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience energy roadmaps and strategy development; Strong awareness of renewable energy and climate change issues; in-depth knowledge of grid integration issues for variable renewables; hands-on experience in deploying flexibility guidelines and strategies and a good network in variable renewable power grid integration
Language: Excellent command of written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of other official IRENA languages is desirableFurther details: https://www.irena.org/employment/Career-Detail?jobId=CP0073
This page belongs to the Job Offers database.