|| Company Description
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation - by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation, with decentralised management. Our Global Support Unit (70 staff) backstops our teams around the world.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
SNV as part of a consortium will implement a € 160 million Euro global fund that will provide finance and Technical Assistance (TA) to projects with a focus on climate change adaptation and mobilize external private sector funding at scale.
The Dutch Fund for Climate and Development (DFCD) allows for investments in projects aimed at climate change adaptation and mitigation in developing countries. SNV, as part of the Origination Facility, will identify and develop, together with local companies and stakeholders, bankable business cases/projects which can subsequently be picked up by the Finance Facilities (Water and Land-use) for further development, match-making and investment. The DFCD presents an important additional instrument for the Dutch government’s efforts in contributing to the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The Business and Investment Officer is responsible for sourcing the investment pipeline as well coordinating the discovery, structuring and developing of bankable business cases across key landscapes in Asia (likely primarily from South East Asia) which will graduate to the Land Use Facility. The Expert will need to be able to identify companies which meet the criteria of the Facility, assess their viability and work with these companies towards investment. S/he will work together with and coordinate the activities of Business Development Officers (BDO) working at the national level; coordinate and ensure quality control of the assessment and support to potential companies; and coordinate and oversee the provision of technical and financial assistance to businesses.
Duties & Responsibilities
Provide support in developing, structuring and assessing new business cases:
- Ensure business cases fit into DFCDs landscape approach for climate adaptation and mitigation
- Support the development of climate smart investment plan(s)
- Ensure business cases fit the investment criteria of the DFCD and other co-investors
- Contribute to the preparation of proposals undertaking analysis and discussions with SNV/consortium staff & clients as appropriate
- Ensure compliance of business cases with the funds assessment framework
- Support the planning and execution of due diligence visits
- Support legal contracting processes, in cooperation with a legal advisor
Monitor, support, and guide/coordinate portfolio management of contracted grants in the region:
- Prepare (credit)reviews / risk assessments incl market and financial analysis
- Provide support to the in country BDOs by responding to requests for information/support and steering follow-up with country BDOs for particular needs per business case
- Pipeline generation and management, including administrative follow-up: file completion (feasibility studies, business plans, amendments, disbursement requests), M&E / compliance, reporting
- Participate in client monitoring visits when needed
- Provide support on repeat transactions for existing clients
- Assist team members in other aspects of the portfolio management process
- MSc in (agri-)economics, finance, business administration or other relevant discipline
- Minimum of 5 years working experience as investment inclusive business expert
- Experience in climate adaptation projects and/or businesses is an advantage
- Working experience in an international environment and/or in emerging markets is a plus
- Strong analytical and risk assessment skills, including financial modelling skills
- Strong administration skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to build productive internal and external working relationships
- Strong service and client orientation
- Excellent team player
- Good networking skills
- Pro-active work attitude and 'can do', solution-oriented attitude
- Strong skills in planning, administration, organising and prioritising
- Risk aware and able to escalate issues when necessary
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal
- Affinity with SNVs mission and with Agriculture and Renewable Energy
Contract Duration: 2 years full -time international employment contract, with strong possibility of extension
Expected Start Date: August, 2019
Duty Station: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Working at SNV
SNV offers a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal and global network of experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the above profile, we invite you to apply by submitting your CV in English with a cover letter before July 31, 2019.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted