|| World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focuses on building sustainable and liveable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 1000 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
WRI India is seeking a Consultant for the Energy Access work housed in the Energy Program in India for an initial period of 1 year (extendable). With his/her knowledge of the energy access landscape in India, the Consultant will support the vision of WRI to improve access to reliable, affordable and sustainable energy for all.
WRI globally, has deep experience in the energy sector and is widely recognized as a leader on energy issues. In India, we have a multi-pronged energy strategy that looks strategically at directing our tools, research, expertise, and partnerships in ensuring universal access to reliable, affordable and sustainable electricity. The energy access work focuses on states where there continues to be unserved and under-served demand.
To expand the energy access work, WRI India is working with development partners who operate in remote rural areas where access to electricity is limited. WRI India helps them design, implement and assess the impact of clean energy solutions. The interventions with the partners will feed into the scaling up efforts for reducing energy poverty and achieving development outcomes. The Consultant will join a team of highly motivated individuals across multiple continents, including members of WRI’s senior leadership, to support the energy access work.
The Consultant will undertake and oversee a range of responsibilities for the energy access team as are listed below.
- Perform energy assessment for development partners across states for system sizing and designing.
- Provide inputs for identifying the right technology for improving access to reliable source of electricity.
- Co-ordinate with vendors for getting quotes and designing the system suited for the development partners.
- Work with the development partners during implementation and train the partners to ensure system sustainability.
- Conduct research of the energy access technologies and innovations and monitor the changing landscape to share with the team in a timely manner.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Energy Access Lead and Energy Program Director in India.
Required Attributes and Credentials:
- Degree in Engineering required (Electrical specialisation is preferred) with 3 -5 years of relevant experience in energy access space with focus on off-grid and grid integrated solutions that work in areas with no electricity or limited hours of electricity
- Experience of conducting energy need assessments, doing system sizing and implementation of energy solutions
- Experience of working with energy vendors
- Good communications skills, willingness to engage with the team members in project discussions and a strong sense of respect for the team members
- Willingness to travel for work to different states in India on a regular basis and on short notice
- Fluency in speaking English and Hindi. Knowledge of Assamese will be preferred
Location: Bangalore / Delhi, India
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.