| Programme description:
The “Strengthening long-term protection of refugee communities through increased access to renewable energy sources” project at the Peacekeeping Training Programme (PTP) is trying to increase the access to renewable energy sources and to reduce the energy consumption in humanitarian settings. Recognizing that the use of renewable energy technologies in humanitarian response settings is not so much a question of access to technology but of an integrated policy approach bringing together all relevant stakeholders, such as government and local communities of host countries, international humanitarian organizations, refugee communities as well as providers of resources, knowledge and technology.
The project supports the development of capacities among the humanitarian actors. Within the pilot phase existing patterns and best practices will be reviewed in close cooperation with relevant stakeholders (UNHCR Energy Unit, public-private sector experts, GIZ).
UNITAR PTP offers an internship/traineeship opportunity for university students or postgraduates. This working experience is designed to allow interns/trainees to strengthen their knowledge and gain practical experience in the training and learning field, with a specialization in topics related to renewable energy in humanitarian settings.
Under the supervision of the project manager, the incumbent will provide support of the project in identifying and developing appropriate training and capacity building initiatives.
The internship / traineeship:
UNITAR is now accepting applications from qualified applicants interested in working for a minimum of 3 months on a full-time unpaid basis at UNITAR headquarters in Geneva. Under the supervision of the project manager, the intern/trainee will support developing the energy project further which entails a wide range of activities.
Individual work plans will be designed in accordance with specific terms of reference, which also highlight learning objectives as the internship/traineeship is intended to allow trainees/interns to develop specific skills and competences.
Responsibilities/Description of Professional Services:
- Conducting research about capacity building seminars for NGOs in humanitarian actions;
- Develop training and capacity building activities for productive use of energy;
- Support the project in assisting outreach activities like international conferences;
- Provide general assistance to PTP;
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
By the end of the internship/traineeship, the incumbent will be able to:
Identify vocabulary related to renewable energy in humanitarian settings and security, as well as UN terminology;
- Explain the situation of renewable energy in humanitarian settings;
- Have an overview of existing capacity building activities related to renewable energy;
- Gain experience in organizing a large international conference;
- Apply time management skills to respect tight deadlines.
In carrying out these tasks, the incumbent will be provided with clear guidelines and fully supported by PTP staff.
PTP staff will make sure that the incumbent will gain the maximum advantage possible in pursuance of his responsibilities – in terms of acquisition of professional and interpersonal skills.
Measurable outputs/Deliverables/Schedule of Deliverables:
- Draft for a capacity building workshops and training courses related to renewable energy;
- Research conducted on technology, upon request;
- Effective support to the organization of a conference;
- General assistance provided – as requested.
- Performance Indicators for Evaluation of Results
- Quality of the outputs;
- Accurateness of the material provided.
Applicants should have good knowledge about the following fields:
- Energy/engineering studies, preferable Renewable Energy and/or sustainability studies and/or Developing studies
- Productive use of renewable energy
- Developing training and capacity building activities
- Organizing conferences.
The intern/trainee should possess good organizational and research skills, familiarity with numerous new/social media platforms, familiarity with website development - WordPress or similar CMS, working knowledge of MS Office Suite, excellent internet and e-mail skills. Other qualities, such as willingness to learn, dedication and independence at work are welcome.
Proficiency in English is essential; proficiency in French or another UN language will be considered an asset.
Internship/traineeship term: minimum three months
Indicative starting date: asap
Deadline for application: 25.10.2017
Interns/Trainees are considered gratis personnel. They are not financially remunerated by UNITAR. They are not staff members and shall not represent the Institute in any official capacity.
How to apply:
Send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Energy Programme Support” in your subject line.