|| Job Description
The Goal of the Agriculture Sector at SNV is “More Inclusive, sustainable and resilient food systems which provide diverse nutritious food for all within planetary boundaries”. In order to achieve this, SNV has chosen to work in four areas, which we call products: ‘Inclusive Value Chains’, ‘Sustainable Nutrition for All’, ‘Climate and Business’ and ‘Opportunities for Youth Employment’. Each of these work areas (products) is co-ordinated by a Global Product Coordinator who steers the content and implementation – both internally and externally – of their “product” within the Global Agriculture Team at the Head Office and across all Country Offices of SNV globally.
The Global Youth Employment Coordinator – under the leadership of the Global Head of Agriculture, but also working closely with the Global Heads of Energy and WASH – develops and continuously improves the description and the methods, tools and approaches of all climate change related work of SNV. Our Opportunities for Youth Employment Product applies an inclusive market-based approach. Opportunity identification in selected market sectors is the point of departure of all OYE interventions. In order to “make markets work for youth”, OYE acts as the matchmaker between skilled youth and the labour market and is a systematic methodology that equips youth with social skills, business development, entrepreneurship and leadership skills, (Push); creates a platform for internship and apprenticeship opportunities based on youths’ interest and passion (Match) while collaborating with private sector players, civil society organisations and national governments in provision of mentoring and coaching, access to capital and market linkages (Pull) to create sustainable opportunities and networks that enable youth aspirations and businesses to thrive. SNV’s Opportunities for Youth Employment contributes to improved livelihoods and socio-economic prospects for young women and men, through the (self-) realization of employment and enterprise development.
The Global Youth Employment Coordinator monitors and manages the quality of project development and implementation for all SNV projects globally that include Youth Employment components in order to support project teams around the globe to create sustainable impact while achieving agreed revenue and margin targets. Key aspects of this include developing and nurturing relationships with key donors, leading and contributing to the development of funding proposals, building capacity of staff around the world and providing technical assistance directly to project teams. The Coordinator steers the knowledge sharing and learning agenda on Youth Employment across SNV and guides Agriculture Sector Leaders and Project Managers in up to 27 SNV Country Offices on theories and best practice relating to climate change and business.
The Global Youth Employment Coordinator represents SNV with key climate change stakeholders and at selected events at international and occasionally at national level, building partnerships with relevant actors (companies, research institutions, universities, donors etc) through professional profiling and by promoting SNV's strategy, vision and level of (product and project) knowledge. The Coordinator identifies and enters global partnerships with knowledge institutes in consultation with the Global Head of Agriculture.
- Development and Innovation: Ensures that set of tools and approaches to implement Opportunities for Youth Employment activities is updated and adjusted to meet the required high-quality standards. Pitches innovative and relevant methodology enhancements or new products based on experience and external developments to the Global Heads of Agriculture, Energy and WASH and/or relevant stakeholders.
- Advisory Services and Project Cycle management: Provides advice and support in more complex projects and programmes, including project design, backstopping, theory of change etc. Steers and gives direction to Project Managers in the sector to improve overall sector quality.
- Business Development: acts as technical lead and reviews quality of new proposals; ensures coherence in cross-cutting themes and analyses critical success factors (including Theory of Change, partners, activities and budget) in close collaboration with the Global Marketing and Business Development team.
- Knowledge and Learning: Leads on innovation, translates external trends into internal improvement actions. Prepares, maintains and updates product knowledge agenda and steers organisational learning by sharing product knowledge and best practices. Collects and disseminates knowledge to stimulate internal and external knowledge exchange and to support global learning.
- Quality Assurance and Portfolio Management: Monitors high quality implementation of the set of tools and approaches. Manages, with delegation from the Global Heads of Agriculture, Energy and WASH the quality of project implementation to ensure sector project teams around the globe create on the ground impact while hitting agreed revenue and margin targets. This includes regular monitoring and timely identification of deviations from impact and business targets as well as coordination of corrective and follow-up actions and escalation in case of major or prolonged deviations. Provides support to project staff to implement the product tools and approaches according to the set standard.
- Profiling and positioning: Builds and expands partnerships with relevant actors (companies, research institutions, universities, donors, etc.) through professional profiling, showing SNV's strategy, vision and level of knowledge and experience. Represents SNV at selected events. Identifies and enters global partnerships with knowledge institutes within the sector in consultation with the Global Agriculture and Energy Teams.
- Masters degree in specialised/relevant technical field and minimum 10 or more years relevant experience in development work, project implementation in an international, multiple country context. Relevant advanced academic qualification in economics, education or another field relevant to Youth Employment;
- 10+ years of relevant experience in Youth Employment programs including at least 5 years in a project management role in Africa or Asia;
- Solid and strong background in youth employment activities and proven track record in relevant development work related.
- Solid experience to strengthen SNV’s global position in the OYE field, develops new business and innovative solutions.
- Demonstrated understanding of the Technical Vocational Education Training (TVET) sector, including more practical and market relevant vocational skills training. Demonstrated experience in and understanding of “dual vocational training” (classroom + on-the-job), which is at the core of the OYE approach.
- Has the experience to steer, give direction and advise project managers.
- Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large-scale comprehensive projects;
- International work experience and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting;
- Strong background in business development; demonstrated programme design, proposal writing and international donor relationship management;
- Proficiency in English and French required;
- The successful candidate will be a self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organisational skills.
- The successful candidate will be a conceptual thinker, having and gaining insight into situations, problems and processes