| URL for job description: http://bit.ly/Ops_Manager_Agsol
Agsol is hiring an Operations Manager for our Nairobi office. This is a key role in our young company and we’re looking for someone special who has the right mix of technical and human skills, drive and personal values.
Agsol designs and manufactures leading edge solar powered agro-processing machines for off-grid farming communities. Our solar mills convert the most important staple foods into edible and higher value food products – e.g. maize to flour. By linking agricultural machines with solar power, Agsol offers off-grid farming communities a new tool to improve their agricultural productivity and simultaneously gain access to real energy services.
Agsol is a small, young and lean company with big ambitions to grow and improve the lives of millions. Over the past three years, Agsol has deployed over 750 of our Gen1 solar mills to market, mostly in the Pacific region. We’ve recently established a Nairobi base and about to launch the first of our new Gen2 machines. There’s a lot more we want to do with continued product development and regional growth.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reports to: CEO
Start date: Immediately
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Operations Manager will be responsible for overseeing field implementation, after sales service, project management, supply chain and logistics to ensure the successful deployment of Agsol’s machines to field. You will work closely with our CEO and China side manufacturing team to efficiently manage product flow and additionally support all technical aspects related to product.
You will develop and maintain excellent relationships with our distribution partners in the region, providing them with an exceptional level of hands on technical and human centred support. Your ultimate mission is to ensure Agsol’s machines deliver maximum benefits to our customers and you will do what’s necessary to ensure that’s a reality.
As Operations Manager, you will also function as the lead Project Manager for an externally funded project in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia. In this role you will be required to travel regularly to remote locations in the region, deliver on milestones against the project schedule, satisfy reporting requirements to the donor, perform M&E tasks, and manage the day-to-day running of the project.
• Supply planning: working with our upstream China side team and downstream distribution partners to ensure timely and efficient product flows
• Logistics: manage inbound international FCL and LCL, and trans-shipping arrangements within the region, along with certification requirements
• Customer service: train partners, support market/customer scoping, support in-field installation/training/maintenance, develop training/marketing materials, establish after sales standards and processes
• Staff management: support recruitment, training, development and management of field technicians and factory/warehouse manager
• Product development: channel customer feedback to the product development team and support R&D, prototyping and testing
• Sales support: actively identify and feed sales leads to the sales team
• M&E: data collection for internal analysis and reporting to partners
You’re a mid-level professional with more than five years’ experience managing projects and staff in challenging environments. You have a strong technical background, a broad set of general skills and feel very strongly about applying your skills and energy to improve the lives of others. Your motivation, practical approach, personal values, ability to self-manage and efficiently deliver results are core attributes.
You are an excellent, adaptable and open communicator, equally capable conversing with a business leader or a local political member, as you are sitting down with a rural farmer. You are comfortable collaborating with others, value diversity, and are a thoughtful relationship builder.
You appreciate that being part of a young and dynamic company, you need to be adaptable and willing to step up when circumstances demand it… which they will.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• Master’s degree in engineering or technical field, or relevant real-world experience
• Experience: 5 years of relevant project management experience executing against timelines and budgets, preferably within the East African region
• Language: English required, Kiswahili or French or Portuguese a bonus
• Results oriented: tremendous ability to get stuff done!
• Strong work ethic: willingness to work a non-traditional work schedule
• Balance: combining patience, empathy, and honesty with the assertiveness, clout and drive to see any job through to the end
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary and benefits are competitive, commensurate with experience.
Please submit your CV and cover letter describing why you think you are good fit for Agsol and the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org before 6 January 2019. You are encouraged to apply sooner rather than later, as we are open to finalising the position before year-end for the right person.