Francophone Energy Advisors, Power Africa Senior Advisors Group Program
►Add a New Job
►See all Jobs
|| Francophone Energy Advisors, Power Africa Senior Advisors Group Program
|| Tony Blair Institute (TBI)
|| United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
|| Europe and Central Asia
|Type of job
|| consultancy contract
|Language of description
|| Focus of the Role
Power Africa and the Senior Advisors Group (SAG) Program (Power Africa) is an initiative that brings together 12 United States Government agencies to leverage large-scale resources and expertise of the private and public sector, to expand access to power across Sub-Saharan Africa. The initiative aims to increase installed power capacity by 30,000 MW, to create 60 million new electricity connections to households and businesses, and to support the development of a strong enabling environment for the power sector.
TBI, in coordination with United States Agency for International Development (USAID), implements the Power Africa Senior Advisors Group (SAG) Program to support effective government leadership in Power Africa partner countries to increase the availability of, and access to, power.
The Program deploys Energy Advisors embedded in local institutions (e.g. Ministries of Energy, Utilities, Rural Electrification Agencies, and Regulatory Authorities) for assignments of 2-4 years typically. The advisors assist sector leaders to make improvements on strategy, planning and policy implementation. At the moment, advisory work is being undertaken in Burkina Faso, Mozambique, Nigeria and Senegal, as well at with regional intergovernmental organizations.
The Institute is planning to expand the Program into more Francophone countries across sub-Saharan Africa, and is looking for Energy Advisors to make that happen. Each advisor will be embedded in a partner government structure with the Governments requesting assistance. Depending on the location, the specific areas of reform may focus on either on-grid or off-grid systems or a combination of the two.
At present, we are seeking expressions of interest from advisors who are interested in joining the Program and working in Francophone countries across sub-Saharan Africa.
The Energy Advisors will:
- Advise counterparts within national government structures as they improve the policy environment for national power sectors, set out viable plans for power sector development and deliver on power sector priorities. This may include: advising the Ministers and their team on how to enhance the sector’s legal and regulatory framework to facilitate both private and public investment; financial appraisal of proposed Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs); promoting integrated power sector planning and strategic use of on-grid, off-grid and small-scale solutions; project management and follow-up activities within the Ministry, as well as other advisory tasks benefitting our partners
- Advise Power Africa and other development partners as they identify how they can best support national governments advance power sector reforms and projects. This will involve providing timely analysis and acting as a point of coordination and expertise
- Identify areas where direct engagement at political level is required and coordinate these engagements in collaboration with the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party – Technical Lead
- Develop and strengthen TBI’s relevance and value for government leaders in the country of assignment, acting as part of a wider TBI team in the country
- Proactively identify risks and issues affecting workstream delivery and promptly communicate upwards with options for solutions
- Support scoping for new programming and business development, as needed
Applicants should have:
- At least 5 years’ of power sector experience
- Experience in institutional capacity development, regulation, power system planning or public-private financing are desirable
- Experience working in developing economies is desirable
- Proven ability to articulate technical expertise with analytical and communication skills to produce high quality advisory deliverables
- Strong political acumen to navigate in complex environments and best position the SAG Program
- Ability to proactivally identify engagement opportunities in the energy field, define program strategies and drive their implementation
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and perform other duties as reasonably required to achieve the goals of the country and program teams
- Fluency in French and English is required
This page belongs to the Job Offers database.