2nd Powering Agriculture Call for Innovation
The international initiative Powering Agriculture – An Energy Grand Challenge (PAEGC) – partners are USAID, Sida, BMZ, OPIC and Duke Energy – has been tendering this call. PAEGC is seeking to fund innovative technologies and business models at the intersection of clean energy and agriculture in developing countries.
Against the backdrop of a growing world population and, hence, a rising demand for food, the call aims at supporting organizations and companies with innovative solutions at the interface of agriculture and energy in order to develop and promote energy smart solutions for a resource-efficient and sustainable food production. Applicants from a wide range of U.S. and non-U.S. organizations and institutions are encouraged to respond including academic institutions, not-for-profit and for-profit organizations, foundations, civic groups, and cooperatives.
PAGEC’s second Global Innovation Call will issue individual awards ranging from $500,000 to $2,000,000 USD for Clean Energy Solutions that are
- at the early stages of research and design; and
- (at the later stage of product/business model development to assist with expansion to commercial scale and/or replication of successfully piloted solutions elsewhere.
The 2nd call received 871 applications for its second Global Innovation Call. The Founding Partners are pleased to announce the 13 winners that will collectively receive nearly $13 million in funding under the PAEGC Second Global Call for Innovations. The award agreements for 2015 innovators are still under negotiation with USAID as the administrator of the awards.
More than half of the 13 winners are institutions and companies from emerging and developing countries. With five projects in Kenya, three in Tanzania and two in Uganda, the focus of implementing will be in East Africa. Solar powered systems with almost 70% account for the major part of the winning projects.
Some Quick Facts about the 2015 Innovators
- Organizations in 9 countries: 39% Africa, 23% North America, 15% Asia, 15% Europe/Eurasia, 8% Latin America
- Clean energy type: 69% Solar, 15% Hybrid, 8% Biomass, 8% Waste
- Agriculture value chain focus: 39% staple crops, 38% horticulture, 15% aquaculture, 8% dairy
- Regions of implementation: 61% Africa, 17% Asia, 9% Middle East, 9% Oceania, 4% Latin America
- Funding type requested: 62% applied under Funding Window 1 on the design of their clean energy solution, while 38% applied under Funding Window 2 to scale-up their clean energy solutions
Winners - Countries of Implementation*
Bangladesh: 2; Ethiopia: 1; Ghana: 1; Guatemala: 1; India: 1; Indonesia: 1; Jordan:1; Kenya: 5
* Some projects plan to implement in several countries.
- Water and Energy for Food (WE4F) portal on energypedia
- Powering Agriculture: An Energy Grand Challenge for Development
- Powering Agriculture: An Energy Grand Challenge for Development initiative - Winners
- Feel free to subscribe to the USAID Powering Agriculture mailing list to keep yourself updated.
- To learn more about Powering Agriculture’s partners, projects, and ongoing/planned activities – and to contact us to request any further information – please visit www.PoweringAg.org>