Advocacy & Communications advisor CLIMATE & BUSINESS / FOOD SYSTEMS
Advocacy & Communications advisor CLIMATE & BUSINESS / FOOD SYSTEMS
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1,300 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
Our Climate and Business Product builds on SNV’s extensive experience working with the private sector and provides an approach to support agri- and energy-businesses to increase productivity and incomes, in a way that responds to growing climate risks. This requires transforming the overall functioning of the agriculture and energy sectors, the relationships within them and the technologies adopted. To drive the sectors towards more climate smart outcomes requires a conducive enabling environment and innovative finance. Our interventions help to kick-start markets and leverage finance, providing lasting climate solutions at scale. Our growing portfolio of work offers demonstrable climate smart business cases that can be further adopted and scaled by others. Our Climate and Business Product builds on SNV’s extensive experience working with the private sector and provides an approach to support agri- and energy-businesses to increase productivity and incomes, in a way that responds to growing climate risks. This requires transforming the overall functioning of the agriculture and energy sectors, the relationships within them and the technologies adopted. To drive the sectors towards more climate smart outcomes requires a conducive enabling environment and innovative finance. Our interventions help to kick-start markets and leverage finance, providing lasting climate solutions at scale. Our growing portfolio of work offers demonstrable climate smart business cases that can be further adopted and scaled by others.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
NV seeks to contract an Advocacy and Communications advisor to support the SNV Global Climate and Business Coordinator as well as the three programme teams of DFCD, CRAFT and Pro-ARIDES. The Advocacy and Communication advisor will support the formulation and implementation of communication strategies in the areas of climate adaptation and mitigation and resilient food systems and will frame the major lessons learnt from SNV programmes into messages supporting SNV’s strategic objectives, promoting SNV as a trusted technical partner and growing SNV’s business in these areas.
The Advocacy & Communications advisor will provide technical assistance to SNV climate and food systems programmes on delivering marketing & communication services and positioning SNV (and partners) in events, on websites and in the media. The Advocacy & Communications advisor will initiate policy debate with key global and regional stakeholders and support DFCD, CRAFT and Pro-ARIDES in generating (intermediate and final) policy relevant results.
Policy influence & advocacy support:
- Builds, connects and supports relationships with parties and gathers intelligence on new Climate & Business initiatives, climate change trends and policy changes in consultation with the Global Climate & Business Coordinator and Global Sector Leaders (Agriculture/Energy).
- Advises on SNV profiling and network development, including building and maintaining of relationships across a range of clients, donors, potential partners and competitors in order to position SNV as a reliable and professional partner on climate adaptation, mitigation and resilient food systems
- Supports the Communications team (both at project and corporate levels) in profiling SNV as a leading implementation and knowledge organisation in the field of climate adaptation, mitigation and resilient food systems, by showcasing systemic change at scale and approaches at Climate events and meetings.
- Gathers and uses evidence from relevant SNV projects effectively to develop relevant materials in support of the development of public and private actions that promote systems change at scale.
- Strengthen the positioning, and advises and supports SNV’s CRAFT (Climate Resilience Agribusiness For Tomorrow), DFCD (Dutch Fund for Climate and Development) and Pro-ARIDES (Programmeme Agroalimentaire pour la Résilience Intégrée et le Développement Economique au Sahel) projects with the development and implementation of communication strategies/activities for policy influence based on project activities and results.
Global communication support and brand management:
- Advises on developing a Climate & Business branding strategy focused on media engagement (news, internet, radio, TV) to strengthen the profiling of the results and activities of SNV’s Climate and Business product and projects. Supports SNV efforts in an organised use of social media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube)
- Assists the SNV Climate and Business knowledge development agenda and communication plan with a clear link to SNV projects, by advising on a clear road map of activities, events and communication products in 2021 (i.e. Food Systems Summit, CBD conference, UNFCCC COP26, etc.).
- Explores the use of digital tools to roll-out the Climate & Business product and facilitate cross learning across the Climate & Business space, i.e. using digital platforms in facilitating communication and training. Eventually organise training to SNV staff in the use of digital tools to outreach to donors/countries (i.e. online facilitation, building communities, vlogging, MOOCS, etc.)
Content marketing, events and social media exposure:
- Assists the DFCD Marketing and Communications team to position the DFCD Fund (Dutch Fund for Climate & Development) in development of an advocacy strategy to catalyse funds, forging DFCD partnership networks and financial expertise on the ground with like-minded organisations, for SNV to realise sustainable investment projects and a healthy pipeline for replenishment funds in 2023 (i.e. publications, webinars, conferences, challenges, campaigns, etc.)
- Strengthens the communication and coordination with CRAFT (Climate Resilience Agribusiness For Tomorrow) and Pro-ARIDES (Dryland Sahel Programmeme) partners around project knowledge and communication strategies. Improves the integration of results, activities and policies on climate adaptation and climate financing by the partners (i.e. WUR and CCAFS) and communicates this widely for advocacy and policy influence.
Quality control/guidance on SNV communication materials (brochures, videos and other publications):
- Provides guidance for production of marketing & communication materials for Climate & Business product (corporate presentation, brochure, factsheet climate solutions, case study, etc… ) and review/editing of existing communication materials (website, intranet, library, images, learning tools, documents structure, etc..)
- Supports and advises the project manager and project communication staff on how to repackage CRAFT strategic documents, including the climate risk assessments per crop developed (4 pagers) in better digestible/accessible documents. Reviews the short and key communication messages targeting different users across the value chains (i.e. embassies, policy makers, practitioners, business champions, smallholder farmers, media etc.)
- Advises and supports the quality control of the significant change stories, policy briefs and other knowledge products prepared by the CRAFT project, and assists the project to increase and improve external visibility of results of the project (in coordination with partners, business champions, companies, etc.)
- Supports and advises the project manager and project communication staff of Pro-ARIDES on a communication strategy and advises and supports the quality of communication materials in FRENCH and ENGLISH.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Marketing, Communications or related
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in advocacy and communications on climate change and sustainable development
- Strong oral and excellent written professional communication skills, proficient editor
- Networking skills, ability to build or expand networks with relevant people and organisations
- Innovative and creative with an eye for design, art and style
- Project management skills and experience working with external service delivery agencies
- Up to date with digital/online communication technologies and platforms
- Fluency in English (working language) and French (mandatory)
- The ability to be of service, quickly and adequately execute tasks for others.
- The ability to communicate in clear language and to adjust language to the audience’s level.
- The ability and willingness to find out what clients want and need and to act accordingly, taking the organisation’s costs and benefits into account.
- Setting high quality standards and striving for continuous improvement and quality assurance.
- The ability to determine goals and priorities and to assess the actions, time and resources needed to achieve those goals.
- Capacity to think up inventive and smart ideas and solutions for daily problems.
Contract Duration: 1 years part-time international employment contract, 32-40 hours. Expected Start Date: As soon as possible Duty Station: The Hague, The Netherlands
Working at SNV SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation before March 10, 2021 All information will be in the strictest confidence. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission. Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with the Selection Committee will take place.
Women are encouraged to applyWe do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement
This page belongs to the Job Offers database.