Biogas Opportunities Roadmap
This report supports a partnership these agencies have fostered with private industry to voluntarily reduce US methane emissions. In particular, it highlights the "win-win" that biogas systems represent, in terms of climate change mitigation benefits and improving farmers' bottom lines.
According to the Roadmap, the US is well below its full biogas potential, with approximately 2,100 currently operational biogas systems out of just over 13,000 potential sites. Of these potential sites, 8,000 are livestock operations. The report identifies the following barriers to fulfilling this potential:
- lack of awareness of biogas benefits;
- unpredictable biogas market conditions;
- lack of market maturity;
- lack of full valuation;
- inconsistencies across government jurisdictions;
- and lack of technical and applied research and development.
Additionally, the Roadmap addresses the issue of using food waste for energy.
- Find the Roadmap here: Biogas Opportunities Roadmap