Carbon Markets for Small Hydro Power
Hydropower comprises 30% of all carbon offsets projects registered under the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM). Over 1,000 hydropower projects are already registered under the CDM and another 700 are applying for registration, more than any other project type.
- General information on carbon finance (Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) and Voluntary Carbon Markets (VCMs))
Selected Small Hydro Power Carbon Finance Projects
- CDM PoA Small Hydro Power Generation in Indonesia: GTZ-supported PoA in cooperation with SouthPole.
- Phu Mau hydropower project (Vietnam): small scale run-of-river hydropower plant; three cascades with a total installed capacity of 5.6 MW. Crediting period 05 Jun 09 - 04 Jun 16.
- Sichuan provincial Longchi & Caoyuan Small-scale Hydro Power Bundle Project (China): two small-scale hydro projects - Longchi 5 MW + Caoyuan 4MW. Crediting period 28 Apr 09 - 27 Apr 16.
- Iruttukanam Small Hydro Electric Project (India): small scale run-of-river, 3 MW. Crediting period 01 Jun 09 - 31 May 19.
- e7 Bhutan Micro Hydro Power CDM Project (Bhutan): power generation capacity 70 kW. Crediting period 19 Aug 05 - 18 Aug 12.
- Sanquhar and Delta Small Hydro Power Projects (Sri Lanka): two small-scale, run of river hydropower plants, each with an installed capacity of 1.6 MW. Crediting period 01 Jan 04 - 31 Dec 10.
- Santa Lúcia II Small Hydropower Plant (Brazil): run-of-river small hydro plant with installed capacity of 7.6 MW. Crediting period 01 Oct 03 - 30 Sep 10.
- Feasibility of CDM as a financing model (Case studies from Ethiopia)
- Masca Small Hydro Programme (Honduras):PoA small scale, run-of-river hydropower plants, installed capacity between 0.7 - 2.3 MW.Crediting period 01 Sep 2011-31 Aug 2018 (renewable)
Selected Studies and Materials
- KfW PoA Blueprint Book 2nd Edition - Includes a section on PoA issues for small hydro power
- Experiences from the Small Hydro Power PoA in Indonesia - Presentation by Mirka Bodenbender (26.06.2010)
- A Guide to CDM and Family Hydro Power
- CDM Methodology Booklet-UNFCCC - This document summarizes each approved methodology into just one page that includes a diagrammatic representation.
- Analysis of the potential to foster electricity and lighting access in the Andean region, thanks to carbon mechanism - Microsol and Rexel Foundation, study led from June 2013 to May 2014.
- Hydro Portal on energypedia
- Micro Hydro Power (MHP) Plants
- Clean Development Mechanism (CDM)
- Carbon Market Watch: Hydro Power Projects in the CDM
- Carbon Market Watch: http://carbonmarketwatch.org/category/hydro-power/