Carbon Operations Officer
Carbon Operations Officer
UpEnergy is at a time of exciting growth, expanding both in terms of product and geographic portfolio. In the context of our expansion in the Malawian market, we are looking for an experienced Carbon Operations Officer who is passionate about our mission and motivated by the challenge to help UpEnergy set up operations in new key markets. The Carbon Operations Officer will be responsible for coordinating in-country carbon activities, this will include providing quality control support to data teams to ensure compliance to carbon crediting programs and requirements, and also providing operational support and leadership on carbon activities.
This role will not only require someone who is very organized, capable of managing large datasets but has a good understanding of carbon offset projects, has good interpersonal and leadership skills and likes conducting research, and testing out new ideas.
The Carbon Operations Officer will also have the opportunity to actively participate in key operational projects to advance UpEnergy’s business in Malawi including, but not limited to, manufacturing, supply chain management, distribution, sales and marketing, retail partnerships, as well as the piloting and launch of new products
This role will report to the Carbon Operations Manager for Malawi, Zambia and Mozambique. The role is based in Lilongwe, Malawi.
- Supporting the planning, execution and reporting of carbon monitoring, verification and validation exercises for all technologies that are distributed in the country.
- Providing quality control support to data teams to assess and validate compliance of sales data to carbon requirements. The Carbon Officer may on regular intervals or where the need arises conduct spot checks at end user premises.
- Conducting training of newly hired sales teams on carbon and data compliance either without or in conjunction with the Carbon Operations Manager.
- Support in planning and execution of baseline studies for technologies that the company would venture in. This would also include supporting recruitment and coordination of field teams.
- Support knowledge management of the carbon projects implemented by UpEnergy Malawi, including proper documentation of activities, updating standard operating procedures, project files, and ensuring physical filing of documents.
- Providing concept development support on data management options and carbon offset projects that the company may adopt. The Carbon Officer will be key to support in the development of innovative data collection tools, systems and standard operating procedures linked to carbon data and the entire market value chain (production to distribution).
- Piloting and testing of concepts prior to actual deployment as to ensure efficacy of project outputs.
- Conducting research, desk reviews for new carbon project ideas and properly documenting findings.
- Analysing collected data (consumer insights) and providing recommendations to advise implementation.
- Supporting annual budgetary planning for project activities and filling out in-country finance forms. Supporting reconciliation of project funds and compliance of procurement and finance rules.
- Participating in coordination and review meetings within UpEnergy Group (both with in-country data teams, and other teams within UpEnergy).
- Support the coordination of other field activities as requested and as guided by management. Activities here may include supporting due diligence exercises, research studies among others.
- Any other task assigned by management.
Does this sound like you?
- Relevant Diploma
- 4+ years of experience in research, data management and carbon offset projects
- Experience with improved cookstoves and safe water projects and conducting field tests (WBTs, KPTs, Water Quality Tests)
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills would be a plus
- Experience in survey development and management (familiar with KoboCollect, ODK, among other mobile data collection platforms)
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience as a trusted resource as a member of – or providing support to – a leadership team.
Nice to Have
- Familiarity with the development of energy or carbon projects.
- An understanding of customers and business culture in Malawi.
This page belongs to the Job Offers database.