Director of Advisory, Energy 4 Impact
Director of Advisory, Energy 4 Impact
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional with a background in energy access and productive use in Africa to make a real impact on the ground. Reporting to the Managing Director, you will be a key member of the Energy 4 Impact Senior Management Team. You will lead our African Advisory team, which includes professionals from a range of private sector backgrounds, including engineering, project development, entrepreneurship, banking and investment, and management consulting. You will be responsible for ensuring our advisory programmes are delivered on time and on budget to a high standard. You will lead the growth of Energy 4 Impact’s advisory business and build on the exciting opportunities created by the merger with Mercy Corps. You will contribute to the design and implementation of the energy components of Mercy Corps’ multi-sector programmes. Our team helps energy access SMEs – which include stand-alone solar appliance companies, solar home system companies, mini-grid developers, clean cooking companies, humanitarian energy players, and enabling organisations – to grow and become more sustainable by offering advisory services in different areas:
- Business model development and planning;
- Financing strategy and capital raising;
- Product, technology and IP;
- Sales and marketing;
- Supply chain and operations;
- Enabling environment;
- Impact measurement;
- Market analysis and development;
- Partnership development; and
- Design and implementation of pilots.
Team Management Responsibilities
- Manage and mentor team of over 20 advisors in Nairobi, helping them to deliver
programmes and grow their skills and experience.
- Drive and champion the Energy 4 Impact mission, vision and values.
- Promote and encourage a transparent, cohesive and ethical work culture.
- Encourage a collaborative atmosphere with focus on open feedback and professional
Programme Management and Advisory Responsibilities
Manage and implement donor advisory programmes, including budgeting and reporting, both internally and externally.
- Provide business and financial advice to early and later stage SMEs, including standalone solar appliance suppliers, mini-grid developers, solar home system companies and others.
- Provide support to SMEs on their business models, partnership facilitation, project development, investment readiness, financial modelling and capital raising.
- Develop relationships with local investors, financial institutions and donors active in the energy access sector.
- Work closely with the Mercy Corps Africa Regional and Country Teams in delivery of larger field-based programmes, including the energy components of Mercy Corps’
- Work closely with the Energy 4 Impact / Mercy Corps’ Finance Teams to ensure
programme reporting is accurate and up-to-date, and key programme risks are identified and mitigated as much as possible.
- Work closely with Energy 4 Impact’s Knowledge Management and Monitoring and
Evaluation teams to ensure expected results for programme activities are properly measured and evaluated.
- Work together with Energy 4 Impact’s Communications Team to market and
disseminate information on Energy 4 Impact and our programmes.
- Help Energy 4 Impact to develop internal processes and institutional knowledge of
energy access financing, business models and regulatory issues.
- Build and develop relationships with programme implementing partners and lead
development of strategic partnerships as required.
- Represent Energy 4 Impact and make presentations at conferences and networking events
- Provide thought-leadership around the gaps in the market and how Energy 4 Impact
and Mercy Corps can help fill those gaps.
Business Development Responsibilities
- Support organisational efforts to identify and secure new funding from potential donors.
- Build and develop relationships with energy access donors and other funders.
- 8+ years’ experience in at least one and preferably several of the following areas:
○ Management of energy or agricultural-related donor programmes, preferably in an African energy access context ○ Energy project development, operations, financing or appliances ○ Financial advisory, management or strategic consulting ○ Early-stage business building as an entrepreneur, investor (PE/VC/impact investing) or incubator
- Experience working with rural and off-grid business models and financing and an
understanding of the unique challenges faced by businesses operating in Africa.
- Graduate Degree in Business Management, Economics, Finance, International
Development, Energy, Environment, Climate Change or other relevant subject Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent leadership and motivational skills. Track record managing a diverse mix of professionals and different cultures.
- Excellent organisation and project management skills. Ability to manage multiple
programmes and client engagements, meet deadlines and allocate resources and budgets effectively.
- Ability to develop partnerships and strong and effective relationships with industry stakeholders. Strong network in energy access space, including SMEs, investors, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Strong understanding of the off-grid market, entrepreneurial space and impact
investing sectors, preferably in an African context.
- Ability to mentor clients and help them develop commercial or technical solutions.
- Ability to critique and develop financial models.
- Strong written and oral communication skills as well as ability to write high quality reports and proposals.
- Effective public speaker or workshop facilitator.
- Fluent English. Fluent French or Swahili would be an advantage
- Team player
- High energy
- Attention to detail and a focus on results
- Ability to think outside the box, to see the big picture and connect the dots
- Ability to work calmly under pressure
- A can-do and collaborative mindset
Willingness to travel internationally, sometimes at short notice
- Passion for working in the development and impact sector
- Close alignment with the mission and values of Energy 4 Impact and Mercy Corps
CONTACT Interested parties are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and at the latest by 26 April 2022. To apply, please send your CV, along with a covering letter email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
This page belongs to the Job Offers database.