Energy Program Officer
Energy Program Officer
Mercy Corps is a leading global organisation powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In conflict, in disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has merged with Energy 4 Impact to increase access to climate-smart, sustainable energy, improving the lives of millions of people around the world.
Mercy Corps’ approach to energy access is rooted in innovative, market-based energy programming that both reduces emissions and supports resilient livelihoods. We apply our expertise in harnessing the power of market systems and good governance to test solutions in multiple contexts. We have the ability to scale models that enable communities to access the technology, information, financial tools, and the social support they need to adapt, and ultimately transform their access to reliable, clean, affordable energy.
We are looking for someone with the creativity and drive to further our commitment to improving demand for and access to clean, reliable, affordable, and quality energy products and services; support communities to ensure that access to energy is available across diverse user groups; work in partnerships with the private sector, research institutions, funders, corporations, and governments, to reach scale; leverage a range of financing options to encourage private sector investment, whilst focusing on mechanisms that remove the high upfront costs of products for consumers.
The Environment Team is a critical technical team within Mercy Corps’ Technical Support Unit (TSU). The TSU is responsible for leading and supporting assessments, program design and field studies; providing technical support to programs; helping the global agency set technical strategies; building strategic partnerships, and representation and coordination with other development, government and private sector actors. Supporting agency priorities, the Environment Team is particularly focused on technical support in the areas of climate change adaptation and mitigation, including disaster risk reduction, natural resource management and environmental conservation, and access to energy.
The Energy Program Officer will support program assessment and design and gather lessons learnt from implementation to advance Mercy Corps' agency-wide commitment to new frontiers to low carbon development and energy access.
The Energy Program Officer will support the agency’s effort to integrate energy access considerations within our multisectorial programming, support countries of implementation to strategize low carbon development efforts - also contributing to the agency’s efforts to reduce our carbon footprint, and provide support with the implementation of ongoing programs liaising between HQ and countries of implementation. The Energy Program Officer will also support the implementation of the Energy Access workplan, which includes: the design of new initiatives and programs, the development of competitive proposals for submission to donors, writing periodic impact briefs, liaising with program partners, and the streamlining of available resources.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Resource management: Review and expand on guiding internal and external resources around energy access, including communication and advocacy materials; monitor key internal and external trends in field programming and sector to inform TSU’s work
- Strategic thinking: contribute to innovative thinking around emerging aspects and models areas of energy access, including blended finance for humanitarian energy access, and low carbon development initiatives to boost communities’ resilience to climate, market and conflict-related shocks
- Liaise with countries of implementation and HQ: Ensuring quality and prompt support to the countries of implementation, subject to compliance with Mercy Corps’ policies and procedures
- Communities of Practice: Support internal and external peer-to-peer learning through Mercy Corps online platforms by working with different country teams to develop and post content, lead webinars, and share lessons in creative ways on energy access
- Proposal Writing: Support country teams with country-level program assessment, design and quality implementation around energy access, both for stand-alone and integrated programs
- Liaise with partners and stakeholders: representing Mercy Corps’ Energy Access with peer INGOs, UN Agencies, and energy companies.
This page belongs to the Job Offers database.