Finance Associate – Energy Access
Finance Associate – Energy Access
In this role, you will lead the analysis of national, regional, and global policies, strategies, and programmes to understand the challenges and opportunities for unlocking investment in the clean energy space. You will analyze investment funds from Development Finance Institutions as well as impact investors. You will lead in identifying mechanisms for unlocking commercial funds, including from local financial institutions. You will investigate different models used to finance investment in productive use sectors, particularly in the agriculture and livelihood sectors, as well as the health sector. The goal is to understand successful models that could be replicated to unlock both public and private funding at scale. You will also collaborate with WRI Africa’s energy team and partner organizations to develop scalable models aimed at attracting investment in the productive use sector, as well as increase end-user finance.
You will closely work with different teams across WRI sisterhood, including WRI China, WRI India, the Global Energy Program team, as well as members of the institute's finance center.
You will report to the Energy Access Lead for WRI Africa.
What you will do:
- You will lead in research and analysis on energy finance topics, particularly aimed at unlocking public and private investment in the clean energy and access space
- You will undertake an in-depth review of financial data and investment portfolios from Local Financial Institutions (LFIs), Development Financing Institutions (DFIs), as well as global and regional (Sub-Saharan Africa) energy-focused funds
- You will support the collection and aggregation of data on opportunities for investment in Decentralized Renewable Energy (DRE) sector, including Productive Use opportunities, and social services (in health)
- You will lead in the development of innovative business and finance models for the successful deployment of DRE interventions, particularly in the productive use space
- You will work with and build capacity of LFI (CBs) to establish investment portfolios for renewable energy to accelerate investments in energy access and net-zero ambitions
- You will organize convening and engagements with targeted key stakeholders in the energy access and finance space including utilities, Commercial & Industrial (C&I) actors, Small & Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs), as well as energy entrepreneurs/investors to conduct analysis on optimal pathway for delivery of clean energy
- Integrate inputs from stakeholders to contribute to our research products and engagement strategies
- You will facilitate consultations with key stakeholders
- You will serve as WRI Africa’s finance analytics expert
- Provide ad hoc and ongoing support and recommendations to evolving collaborations between energy access and transition pillars, finance center, as well as with other *International Offices (IOs), particularly with WRI China and India teams.
Communications and Fundraising (30%):
- You will work with the Africa Lead – Energy Access, WRI Africa staff and global communications staff to contribute to the sustenance of a compelling and consistent message from our work as a key strategy for impact
- Develop and co-develop blogs, training materials and other knowledge products (e.g., reports, issue briefs, working papers, and technical notes) on sustainable finance
- You will contribute to analysis and review metrics, results, and outcomes from project activities
- You will contribute to development of funding proposals to expand the growing WRI Africa energy programme.
What you will need:
- Education: You will have a completed Master's degree, either in energy economics and finance, public policy, or a related field
- Experience: You have 5+ years of relevant full-time professional experience, including research and analytics experience in the energy field, and with a focus on African country contexts
- Experience working in energy markets, with a track record of working with energy sector stakeholders in Africa
- Experience in conducting and publishing research on energy finance in Africa
- Demonstrated expertise in structuring and prioritizing a complex, multiple-faceted research work program
- Experience in engaging with government, academia and CSOs involved in energy research in Africa
- Knowledge of solar energy technologies/systems and financing instruments, energy policy, and energy finance challenges and opportunities
- Experience working with international organizations
- Languages: You have verbal and written proficiency in English
- Requirements:Existing work authorization is required where this position is based. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization.
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by 20 January 2023. You mustapply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
This page belongs to the Job Offers database.