Head of Energy and Sustainable Responses
Head of Energy and Sustainable Responses
Millions of people lack access to electricity and clean cooking solutions, and in particular displaced people and communities. Access to clean energy is a key sustainable development goal, and an enabler of better humanitarian programming and access to basic human rights such as education, health, livelihoods, and food security. While the world is facing a climate emergency, the humanitarian and development sectors are struggling to reduce emissions and transfer to clean energy and more sustainable and greener operations.
NORCAP has an ambitious goal to support increased climate resilience and environmental sustainability for people. We have established the largest capacity of clean energy expertise in the humanitarian sector, aiming to support the system to develop green and circular approaches and promote access to clean energy for people, to reduce the negative impact on the environment and communities.
We are now looking for someone with solid experience and understanding from working with clean energy solutions and environmental sustainability from the humanitarian and development sector, to lead NORCAP’s work on the green shift.
NORCAP is part of the Norwegian Refugee Council, and work to solve challenges in the humanitarian, development and peacebuilding sectors to better protect vulnerable people’s lives and rights. We build partnerships, promote more effective ways of working and provide skilled experts to develop capacity. NORCAP’s mission is to improve aid to better protect and empower people affected by crisis and climate change.
The Head of Energy and Sustainable Responses will work in the Section for Innovation. Business Development and Analysis in NORCAP’s Head Office in Oslo. The position is responsible for implementing our strategic objectives related to the green shift and will have line management responsibilities for the key staff in this operational area.
Are you an experienced people leader with extensive experience within energy and environmental sustainability? Please read on!
What you will do
Your role will be to operationalize and implement NORCAP’s strategy, with three main tasks: Resource allocation to reach goals; Follow up strategic; and Project teams and performance management of staff. You will have at all times, the full overview over workload for staff, teams and project pipeline.
Some of your specific responsibilities will include:
- Contribute to operationalisation of relevant strategic objectives in NORCAP’s strategy.
- Drive the strategic development of NORCAP’s green shift portfolio, and lead operationalisation and implementation of the strategic objective to promote clean energy and sustainable responses.
- Responsible for the maintenance, development and quality assurance of key partnerships, and initiate engagement with new strategic partners and networks
- Accountable for fundraising and resources mobilization for the green shift portfolio
- Guide and identify new strategic initiatives to reach the objectives set out in relevant strategic objectives.
- Accountable for quality reporting to donors and results-based management of projects.
- Responsible for the set up and closure of teams, including developing and finalising all documentation according to NORCAP rules, SOPs and policies.
- Accountable for developing the workplan with milestones for new teams, selecting team members and team coordinator and agreeing on reporting frequencies.
- Line management responsibility for selected staff in the Section. Responsible for mentoring and following up on selected teams.
- Responsible for advocacy, analysis and information from the field within areas of responsibilities.
- We know that you are curious and would like to learn more about this role; please click here to access the full Job Description.
What you will bring
You will be successful in this role is you have the following;
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience.
- At least a minimum 2 years of relevant Management/Leadership experience.
- Relevant post graduate or professional qualification (i.e. Masters degree).
- Knowledge and experience of working with HR processes and managing people.
- Proven expertise in clean energy and environmental sustainability
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts desirable.
- Experience of working with people in complex environments.
- Documented results related to the position's responsibilities.
- Knowledge of NORCAP key donors, including strategic priorities, organisational setup and funding mechanisms, is a clear advantage.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Additional language like French is preferred
- Knowledge of standard ICT office support systems
What makes this position attractive?
- A challenging and exciting opportunity with an international team dedicated to climate and environmental sustainability and the rights of people forced to flee;
- A chance to support in the operationalization and implementation of NORCAP’s strategy;
- A Permanent fulltime contract with Oslo as the preferred duty station.
- Salary and benefits according to NORCAP’s salary scale and terms and conditions.
We are also looking for people who share our values:
- To be dedicated in what we do;
- To be innovative with our solutions;
- To act as one unified and inclusive team;
- To be accountable to the donors that make our work possible; the beneficiaries that we exist to serve; and to each other, the members of our NRC family.
- We are happy about early applicants.
This page belongs to the Job Offers database.