During the rainy season, the community is almost inaccessible traveling by land. The transport of diesel to the community, to operate the generator requires a huge logistical effort.
From the central level, diesel is bought on the world market for around USD 1.00 / l, and sold, in subsidized form, for around USD 0.15 / l to electricity companies and authorized cooperatives.
Approach to the problem
For the Remanzo community, it was decided to implement a hybrid system, this with the objective of reducing diesel consumption and reducing the costs of electricity.
A hybrid system was built, consisting of a photovoltaic system and a diesel generator. In addition, there is also a modern battery system that helps store the energy generated from the photovoltaic system.
In the case of Remanzo, it is expected that diesel consumption will be reduced by 100%. This photovoltaic system is designed to operate autonomously for two days in the absence of sunlight, without having to turn on the generator.
Through this FV / Diesel hybrid system the following impacts are expected for the community of Remanzo:
- Increse in electricity supply from the current 4 hours to a 24 hours power supply.
- Reduction of electricity generation costs by approximately 50%. This represents a financial saving of around USD 72000 per year.
- Savings of up 85000 liters of diesel per year, corresponding to approximately 225 tons of CO2.
The improvement of the electric service will lead to the following impacts:
- Conversion of streer lighting to the most modern LED technology. This leads to better lighting of public roads , while reducing the cost to the community budget.
- Modernization of domestic electrical connections that currently represent a huge accident risk.