|| Company Description
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation is one of the largest Dutch, development organisations with operations in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. SNV aims to lift up incomes and access to basic services. We make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty, helping them raise incomes and access basic services. Driven by the Sustainable Development Goals, we are dedicated to a society in which all people are free to pursue their own sustainable development, and no one is left behind. This commitment to equity directs us to focus on gender and youth.
We apply our know-how to realise effective solutions and deliver results at scale worldwide. We do this through our local presence and our specialised expertise in agriculture, energy, and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH). Our projects directly benefit millions of people. At the same time, our projects drive systems change, which helps many more people work their way out of poverty, well beyond the scope of the projects themselves. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation, implementing our mission exclusively through project financing. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence every day.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: https://snv.org/
Background of assignment
SNV in Niger has recently signed the contract for a new project in Niger on making digital information services available to pastoralists on a commercial basis. The project is a sequence to ongoing programmes in Mali and Burkina Faso, with which there is close cooperation and exchange. The expert for Niger is also expected to contribute to the projects in Mali and Burkina Faso.
To improve the resilience in the agricultural sector, in particular the pastoralist sector, through commercially viable digitalized information services at affordable cost in Niger, SNV is recruiting an International Senior Digitalisation Expert.
The International Senior Digitalisation Expert will lead the support to the national government and strengthen sector policies and sector strategies to engage with the private sector to start up (and expand) digital information services to smallholders. The Expert will engage directly with government authorities, private companies and farmers to promote the elaboration and implementation of a joint action plan. The expert is expected to bring in appropriate technical know-how on digitalisation approaches tailormade to the prevailing conditions and demand in Niger. The senior expert will work in collaboration with SNV colleagues in Mali and Burkina Faso working on similar projects as well as collaborating with organisations in Niger active in digitalisation services.
Key Responsibilities (subject to specific ToR)
• Provide technical assistance on digital information services (advise, presentation, awareness, etc.)
• Engage with private sector companies to ensure their active participation.
• Ensure transparent and open playing field for private sector to engage.
• Facilitate multi-stakeholder dialogue between government authorities, private sector and organisations of pastoralists and/or farmers.
• Facilitate exchange visits and cooperation with projects in the same field in Niger and elsewhere (SNV and non-SNV).
• Support project management.
• Master’s degree in one of the following fields: commerce, economics;
• Minimum 10 years of professional experience in agricultural and/or pastoralist development in Africa, with preference to the Sahel;
• At least five years’ experience in digitalisation processes (digital money, market information, etc) in Africa or Asia;
• Experience in providing high level engagement with private sector and technical assistance to government authorities;
• Proven experience in a multi-stakeholder setting;
• Proven experience in anenvironment that iseconomically and politically fragile
• Willingness to travel within Niger and the Sahel region;
• Experience in the Sahel region;
• Excellent command of French and English (speaking and writing).
Contract Type: International
Expected start date: asap
Duty Station: Niamey
Contract Duration: 2 years with possibility of renewal subject to funding and performance
Working hours: fulltime (40 hours)
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply
Please apply by clicking on the I'm Interested button and complete your application in our in-house recruitment system before May 10, 2021
All information will be in the strictest confidence and in accordance to GDPR. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement