Policy Analyst, India Country Program
Policy Analyst, India Country Program
IISD Energy is looking to recruit a Policy Analyst for its in-country India program. The Policy Analyst will be a quick learner, keen on sustainable development, and eager to work on research tasks that require both quantitative and qualitative skills. The Policy Analyst will support quantitative analysis by creating and updating policy-relevant datasets, including but not limited to government support measures, developing levelized cost of energy (LCOE) estimates, supporting system dynamics energy models, and cost-benefit analyses. The Policy Analyst is also expected to support qualitative research by setting up and conducting consultations with external stakeholders and assisting in stakeholder management, as well as supporting events run by IISD and its partners. The overall goal of this work is to shift government support from fossil fuels to renewable energy while leaving no one behind.
The successful applicant will work on data collection and analysis related to fossil fuels, clean energy (including renewable power and electric vehicles), energy businesses, and other energy policies, as well as consolidate insights from both quantitative and qualitative analyses to write high-quality short contributions to detailed policy research reports. The Policy Analyst will also be actively involved in other country and international projects and will be expected to collaborate and network with other researchers and civil society organizations in India and internationally.
Key areas of responsibility will include but not be limited to:
- In collaboration with other IISD Energy experts, reviewing large government data sets to identify, quantify, and contribute to IISD’s databases on India’s energy subsidies for fossil fuels and clean energy (for example, identify different forms of government support to energy like direct budgetary transfers, tax expenditures, price regulations, public finance, state-owned enterprise investments, and other forms of support).
- In collaboration with and under the supervision of other IISD Energy experts, supporting energy modelling exercises through the Green Economy Model (GEM).
- Contributing to literature reviews and high-quality written reports to support any research gaps emerging in ongoing projects like those on public finance and electric vehicles.
- Providing administrative support to IISD Energy experts in organizing and conducting consultations, organizing events, and drafting communication products related to projects on energy policy in India.
- Liaising and building engagement with other national and state organizations that are IISD’s strategic partners or collaborators in India on several projects to facilitate IISD’s requests on organizing interviews, accessing data, and dissemination.
- Tracking developments in India’s energy policies by collecting, reviewing, and logging information.
About the Successful Applicant
The successful applicant will be a fast learner with experience and a keen interest in analyzing policies and data on energy, sustainable development, and national and state-level energy policies.
They will be confident working with numbers, have strong organizational skills, and demonstrate evidence of critical thinking and attention to detail. They should also display an interest in developing networking and interpersonal skills in order to actively liaise with project stakeholders.
The successful applicant will also have:
- A minimum of a master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field (e.g., economics, finance, statistics, data analysis, sustainable energy, international and development studies, political science, engineering, sociology, or interdisciplinary studies). Candidates without a master’s degree may apply but should be able to demonstrate an equivalent level of knowledge through direct professional experience.
- Candidates should have a minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience in one or several areas: energy policy research, climate and energy finance, and statistics. Recent graduates are welcome to apply if they can demonstrate the required technical and professional skills through work experiences such as internships and university projects.
- Knowledge or experience in quantitative research methods for policy analysis with sharp attention to detail. Advanced user of Excel and Google Sheets (e.g., pivot tables, conditional formatting, macros). Experience with data analysis tools required. Familiarity with energy modelling will be considered an advantage.
- Data-savvy, demonstrated analytical skills, and ability to think critically and learn quickly. *Strong attention to detail, including ability to conduct quality control checks of own work.
- Understanding of relevant ministries and departments related to energy, like power, petroleum, coal, and renewable energy, both nationally and at the state level.
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English.
- “Can-do” work attitude and ability to work both independently and within teams, managing workload, and producing deliverables to time and to budget. Ability to work under pressure and meet deliverables under competing timelines.
- Resourceful and pragmatic approach to solving issues.
- Proactive, results-focused, ability to prioritize and to work quickly and accurately, with the flexibility to take on tasks ranging from highly complex to basic in nature.
- A strong team worker with the ability to work comfortably across different cultures and be inclusive and positive with different colleagues.
- Comfortable working productively and independently with a remote team and actively participating in regular teleconference calls with teams based in different time zones.
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office/Teams applications and experience in handling web-based communications and management systems.
For more details on what we are looking for in our candidates, please refer to the IISD competencies on our website.
Location: home-based, anywhere in India. Candidates must hold appropriate work authorization to work in India.
Starting Salary: Competitive
Type of employment: 100% full-time-equivalent staff position, including under an Employment of Record model. One-year contract with a high possibility of extension.
Application deadline: August 9, 2022, 10 p.m. IST
Start Date: immediate opportunity
Applications will only be accepted through Bamboo HR. Please include the following:
- A CV (no longer than two pages)
- A cover letter (one page)
- IISD Voluntary Self-Identification Questionnaire
All submissions must be in English.
Only those candidates we wish to interview will be contacted. Resumes will be kept on file for one year.Further details: https://iisd.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=448]]
This page belongs to the Job Offers database.