Wednesday, Dec 15, 9:00-10:45 am CET
Renewable Energy Potential for Electricity Generation in Tunisia
As part of its strategy to develop renewable energy projects, the European industrial initiative Dii (Desertec industrial initiative) plans to promote the implementation of several large-scale projects in the MENA region (Middle East North Africa). The realization of these projects requires the establishment of a set of technical and regulatory prerequisites. Dii intends to carry out a prefeasibility study for the implementation of a 1000 MW Renewable Energy pilot project, in Tunisia. Tunisia's ambitions and Dii’s objectives may converge to promote projects of mutual interest. In this context, this study is enrolled to investigate the potential of renewable energies for electricity production intended for national consumption, in Tunisia, as well as for export to the EU.
While performing this study, initially planned for a 500MW pilot project, it turned out that it was possible without major constraints to develop a production capacity of 1000 MW, according to a timetable to be agreed upon, but that could be spread over the period 2014-2020 (some projects may be included in the Tunisian solar plan, being reviewed). In fact, a study on the Tunisian electrical grid jointly conducted by CESI and Dii has shown that the network extensions and reinforcements scheduled by STEG by 2016, installing 1000 MW of ER, even if 80% of the electricity produced would be dedicated to export (the worst case for network management), would require only minimal network reinforcements. Moreover, such generation capacity may itself justify the installation of a trans-Mediterranean cable.
- The regulatory framework in the field of electricity and renewable energies in Tunisia
- Analysis of the energy sector and particularly the electricity sector in Tunisia
- The quantification of the potential of renewable energies resources (particularly wind and solar) and their technical and economic exploitability
- The country’s infrastructure and its convenience with large-scale renewable energy projects
- Environmental and socio-economic effects
- English version: Renewable energy potential for electricity generation for national consumption in Tunisia and export to the EU.pdf
- Version française: Renewable energy potential for electricity generation for national consumption in Tunisia and export to the EU (French version).pdf (Etude sur les potentiels des Energies Renouvelables pour la production de l’électricité destinée à la consommation nationale en Tunisie ainsi que pour l’exportation vers l’UE)
- Annexes: Renewable energy potential for electricity generation for national consumption in Tunisia and export to the EU (Annexes).pdf