Senior Specialist, Energy Access (Powering Healthcare)
Senior Specialist, Energy Access (Powering Healthcare)
- Lead on project management and activity implementation under SEforALL’s Powering Healthcare programme.
- Support the development of a Powering Healthcare ‘Center of Excellence’, by contributing to improved sector intelligence and quality data.
- Contribute to the development of and uptake of financial innovations in support of health facility electrification.
- Provide general technical support to the Powering Healthcare team, in particular for off-grid renewable energy solutions.
- Represent SEforALL’s Powering Healthcare program in global coordination fora, including the Health and Energy Platform of Action or the High-Level Dialogue on Energy.
- Support Powering Healthcare’s country-level strategy, in particular through the development of Market Assessments & Roadmaps for a select number of countries. *The Powering Healthcare program is expected to provide detailed support to 3 to 5 countries in 2022-2024, with additional ad-hoc support to other partners expected
Duties and Tasks for the Role
The main duties of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Lead and/or support the development of knowledge products in support of Powering Healthcare’s objectives; knowledge products will primarily focus on global reports that aim to build out the existing data on health facility electrification as well as on innovations in business models.
- Support Powering Healthcare’s activities on data collection, analysis, and visualization, focused on (i) intervention data and heatmaps, and (ii) impact data such as improved health outcomes.
- Support in-country consultants in the development of Powering Healthcare Roadmaps and other activities. This support will take the form of providing advisory and technical support to countries/governments and their development partners on the design, implementation and monitoring of heath facility electrification programmes/projects.
- Participate in multi-stakeholder platforms, including the Health and Energy Platform of Action and the Health and the Healthcare Electrification and Telecommunication Alliance at the global level, and similar coordination mechanisms at the country-level.
- Support partnership management and donor relationships, for example through participation in multi-stakeholder platforms and by exploring new partnerships in support of the Energy Compact on health facility electrification.
- Provide technical assessments of off-grid system designs, incl. analysis of costs and appropriateness of technical solutions.
- Contribute to the analysis of innovative business models for health facility electrification, including through detailed case studies, desk-based research, stakeholder interviews, and targeted workshops and working meetings.
- Manage activity-level budgets, workplans, contracts, and reporting schedules
- Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing in own work area to bring about awareness and understanding, as well as utilise SEforALL systems and process to share the knowledge. e.g. Salesforce.
- Contribute to the implementation of the Powering Healthcare communications strategy, closely liaising with SEforALL’s Communications Team, including: keeping an external-facing Powering Healthcare deck up to date, event management, speaker outreach, etc.
- Support the Powering Healthcare team with administrative support (e.g. setting up events and webinars, managing distribution lists, …).
- Other tasks and duties as may be required
Specific Competencies for the Role
- Advanced university degree in energy, social sciences (policy, economics, sustainable development), or a closely related field.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience in international development, with specializations in off-grid energy or the energy-health nexus.
- Practical and relevant experience in at least one of the following areas: technical system design for off-grid solutions, or innovative business models for off-grid electrification, or development of national strategies and roadmaps.
- Practical experience designing and implementing off-grid solar programs/projects in energy access deficit countries is desirable.
- Experience managing complex, multi-stakeholder projects.
- Strong project management skills, incl. managing workplans, budget, and M&E frameworks.
- Experience managing relationships with key stakeholders in the energy access field, including national Governments, development partners, and private sector actors.
- Experience delivering high-quality reports and other written products.
- Experience producing content suitable for external communication, for example social media, newsletter, articles, and website content is desirable.
- Solid command of the English language. Other languages (especially French and Portuguese, Swahili) are desirable.
- Fluency with all relevant Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to handle quick-turnaround tasks alongside sustained projects.
General Competences for the Role
- Innovation and Adaptability: Has expert skills and commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities. Is flexible to evolving circumstances, as well as helps others in doing so.
- Resilience and Emotional Intelligence: Has expert knowledge in the concepts of resilience and emotional intelligence. Is able to remain calm in challenging situations, to cope with setbacks, is responsive to the emotions of others and maintains a high level of performance.
- Analytical and Strategic Thinking: Has an expert level of analytical and strategic thinking skills. Gathers and processes demanding information, develops innovative solutions and contributes by representing topics/approaches in internal and cross-functional working groups/teams.
- Collaboration and Partnership: Demonstrates expert initiative and abilities to collaborate and form partnerships in own area of responsibility, across teams and externally. Builds and maintains effective relationships at all levels inside and outside the organisation. Displays team-oriented attitude contributing to creating a positive team spirit.
- Lead and Empower: Demonstrates initiative and role model behaviour in leading and empowering others. Takes responsibility for own work activities and personal actions and carries out the commitments agreed upon.
- Political and diplomatic understanding: Has an expert level of political and diplomatic understanding.
- Communicating information: Has expert skills in communicating information and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work and in others’ work.
- Research and Analytics: Has expert skills in research and analytics. Promotes the use of data within the team and to contribute to wider decision making.
- Project Management: Has expert skills in project management. Plans and organises their own work using project management tools in support of achieving the team’s objectives.
- Client Orientation / Striving for Excellence: Has expert skills in client orientation and achieving excellency in work delivery.
Our Values - please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
Salary information: SEforALL has adopted its own salary scales corresponding to the SEforALL grading system. The minimum yearly salary for this position is USD 75,377. The actual salary offer will be determined within the scale depending on the successful candidate’s qualification and experience, and applying the principle of internal equity. In addition to the base salary, SEforALL staff receive a benefits package that includes contribution to pension, contribution to health insurance & homeworking allowance.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Vienna, Washington DC, New York City, and Abuja and flexibility and result orientated modern workplace arrangements.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
This page belongs to the Job Offers database.