Yeah! Your beloved energypedia has a new look and design. We have updated the software so that the new energypedia is responsive and more user-friendly. Have a look at the platform and if you encounter any bugs or page distortions, please send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connection of a Toilet to a Biogas Digester
Household toilet can be connected to a biogas digester. These toilet systems can turn human waste into biogas.
Types of Toilets
At least two types of toilets can be connected:
- pit latrine type without water flush
- pit latrine type with manual 1litre flush
- Access to modern energy: The toilet is connected to an anaerobic digesters which produces biogas that can be used for lighting, cooking and generating electricity.
- Fuel switching: Substitution of unsustainably harvested biomass and maintenance of forest habitat, with associated biodiversity benefits and local benefits to soil stability and to the dry season stream flows in the region.
- Time saving: Rural women expend a substantial portion of each day gathering fuel wood and cooking
- Productivity: The residue of the process, bio-slurry, can be easily collected and used as a potent organic fertiliser to enhance agricultural productivity.
- Health: Connecting biogas digesters to lavatories contributes to improving hygiene and sanitation practices, and the use of biogas for cooking results in a smoke-free indoor environment. 
Existing Projects / Case Studies
- The National Biogas Programme (NBP), Ethiopia
- Getting Attached, A study on domestic biogas and the integration of sanitation, Ethiopia
- Case study of sustainable sanitation project - Public toilet with biogas plant and water kiosk Naivasha, Kenya
- From open defecation to toilets that produce biogas and fertiliser New innnovations in compost toilets aim to make a dent in sanitation and energy problems in the developing world, India
- Biogas from human waste wins over few cooks, Nairobi, Kenya
- BIOGAS FOR BETTER LIFE: AN AFRICAN INITIATIVE Report on the Feasibility for a National Household Biogas Commercialization Program, Uganda
- Here a few information concerning conection of the pipes from the toilets to the digester
- experiences from India
- Biogas Portal on energypedia