The Potential of Mini Grids and Critical Factors - Discussion
Comprehensive Country Ranking for Renewable Energy Based Mini-Grids Providing Rural Off-Grid Electrification
By C.Breyer - Reyer Lemoine Institut
1. The specific criteria for mini-grids has to be checked at the end locally.
2. How was the rural population calculated?
- We took into account the number of rural electrification projects per country (%) and the level of poverty (%)
3. Why were some countries that clearly have a huge electrification rate excluded? (E.g. Bangladesh)
- This was decided upon a combination of market, political environment and the weighting and scoring
4. Did you make a sensitivity analysis for each variable?
5. How were the ability to finance the project and financial costs like company set ups and infrastructure taken into account?
- This was not considered because it was so extensive the investigation
- Furthermore, all the collected data is standardized and may not reflect exactly the situation in each country
Potential of Mini-grids and Critical Factors
by Dr. Teodoro Sanchez of Practical Action UK
1. How did you come about deciding upon which factors were critical or important?
- To begin with, several specialists from different areas discussed and came up with the critical/important factors. Finally a practical field investigation was done to verify which of these factors were really critical or just important.
An Objectives Analysis for Improved Holistic Design of a Rural Electrification System
By Maizaklah Ayu Abdullah
1. How was the leader of the community approached?
- The leaders have to know how in other communities mini-grids are working by visiting other sites. The community has to be a very active player in the system. They should suggest energy solutions, among other things.
- If there is no compromise by the community the project fails very quickly.
2. What is the socio-economic background of the communities?
- The people don’t handle money very often, thus they have to be given a basic education on this.
Designing a Sustainable Model for Financial Viability of Decentralized Bio-fuel Based Power Projects
By Debajit Palit
- The water for producing biofuel is enough for biofuel based mini-grids.
- Biofuel is produced by big plants and needs to be decentralized.
energypedia Article: The Potential of Mini Grids and Critical Factors
More information can be found at Micro Perspectives for Decentralized Energy Supply Conference - 2013.